I found these over at Cookies and Cups. They are brown sugar cupcakes with chocolate chip cookie dough icing- served with a chocolate chip cookie wedge. Yum! And this is a 'from scratch' recipe- no cake mix or canned icing here. (Well except that the cookie wedge is a 'slice-n-bake')
Brown Sugar Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Measure out milk and vanilla together.
- Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
- Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
- Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cupcake springs back when pushed or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting cupcakes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Icing:
For the icing I started with Wilton's buttercream icing recipe and then I doubled it to frost about 32 cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- splash of milk
- mini chocolate chips
Now to coordinate them with the shower colors, I make cupcake wrappers using scrapbook paper. I used a pattern from Skip to My Lou to create a cardstock template. Then I traced it on scrapbook paper. You can get 5 wraps from a large piece of paper.
Click here for the free template to make your own cupcake wrappers.
Here is the finished product at the adorable shower.
Congrats Jessie and Matt- we can't wait to celebrate with you!
Linking up here:
Shanty 2 Chic
Thrifty Decor Chick
Tatertots and Jello
Be Different Act Normal
A Beach Cottage